to our village in the north of Worcestershire, G.B.
Google Map reference
Early photographs of Chaddesley
Chaddesley Corbett covers a relatively large 6,079 acres, that is 24.6 square
kilometres (9.5 sq mi) with over 50 miles of footpaths and bridal-ways.
It had a population of 1,440 persons across 607 households in the 2001 census.
It gives it's name to District and County Wards in elections, when the boundary
extends beyond that of the religious and civil parishes
The original parish boundary (the "ancient parish") included areas which have
been hived-off and are now parishes in their own right - although various old
trusts still include them in their realms of benefit.
The village has a National Hunt racecourse which is the location for the Lady
Dudley Cup, a Championship race that was first run in 1897.
Farming is mixed, with hay/silage, potato, corn and cereal production, on a
variety of alluvial land with hilly clay to the north of us and more sandy soils to
the south, which support asparagus growing and several thriving horticultural
enterprises. Dairy herds have not recovered from the ‘Foot & Mouth’ crisis.
A major feature of the area is Chaddesley Woods National Nature Reserve - Map
reference SO 915 736 - part of an extensive woodland area that can be traced as
far back as the early 13th century, received mention in the Doomsday Book as ‘a
wood of two leagues’, and has probably remained unaltered since the last Ice Age
- 6 to 10,000 years ago.
Grassland, Meadow, Ponds,
Bluebell, Yellow Archangel, Dog's Mercury, Wood Spurge,
Birds & Insects:
Woodcock, Blackcap, Chiffchaff - Land Caddis, Butterflies